Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Power of Visual Symbols



I found this video and completely loved it! The video perfectly depicts the important and consistency of visual symbols in the world today, both digitally and in person.



Found at cheyart.blogspot.com
Visual symbols are EVERYWHERE! No matter where I go, I am constantly viewing visual symbols, whether it be on campus (in classrooms, dining centers, etc) or off campus (at stores, restaurants, gas stations, etc). Visual symbols are always affecting my daily life. Some of the visual symbols I see include: road signs (speed limit, yield, stop); religious icons, such as the cross, yen and yang, and menorah; signs in the library that represent food, drinks, or quiet/group areas; musical notes; handicap signs; and the pink breast cancer ribbon.

Found at parafreview.hostiko.com


One visual symbol that I didn't mention yet is a tattoo. I plan on getting a tattoo soon in memory of my Dad, and this is the visual symbol that affects my life most. I have always wanted to get a tattoo, but not of just anything. A tattoo is permanent, and I want it to mean something to me (to represent me as a true visual symbol). I plan on getting my dad's signature along with his birth and death dates tattooed on my upper back to honor what a great man he was. Tattoos are powerful visual symbols because they can represent who a person truly is. Just by looking at someone with a tattoo(s), generally, you can get a sense of who they are. I want my tattoo is show everyone my love, respect, and grief of my dad. Also, my tattoo has personal significance to me, which is why it is such a powerful visual symbol of who I am.
This video demonstrates the power of symbols in the past and present. 



Found at flickr.com User: tif_fanny
thegreatoutdoorslandscape.com
In my search of visual symbols, I came across a website that was an online visual dictionary. Merriam Webster Online Visual Dictionary. This website has visuals of words one may be trying to search. This helps me understand visual symbols because it gives pictures and symbols of different words throughout the website. Try it out and see if you can find some interesting symbols that represent who you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment