Monday, January 31, 2011

Killing Us Softly

From genderpants.com
From evolvefish.com
I have seen Killy Us Softly by Jean Kilbourne before during my senior year in High School, but it was still very shocking for me to watch this again. It still amazes me what advertisers put out there. I grew up in a small town, so I wasn't exposed to billboards and constant advertisement, at least not the same type of advertisement you would expect to see in a large city. I did still get exposed to these sexual ads via TV, magazines, and the radio though. Advertising has been around forever and isn't going anywhere. We, as a a society, need to change the way we view and share advertising. In reality though, I just don't see that happening. Our society is too focused on sex, that most of the ads out there today have sex as either a main message or subliminal message. This is deeply troublesome to me, and I really wish there was a way for me to change the advertising world. For now though, we will have to take small steps to change womens' views of themselves. Movements such as the Dove campaign, Special K, Slim Fast and Weight Watchers are some good examples of what women, and men, can use to help motivate this change. Below is a preview of Killing Us Softly 4 for you to enjoy. I would like to ask you all, if you could change just one (1) thing about advertising in today's American society, what would it be and why?


No comments:

Post a Comment